A goal of middle school mathematics instruction is to provide the transition from the elementary mathematics goals to the high school mathematics goals. The mission of our teaching staff is to provide a classroom environment in which students will successfully acquire the mathematical skills necessary for the 21st Century learner. Fundamental to this achievement is a grasp of problem solving strategies, sharpening of critical thinking skills and most importantly the positive attitude to welcome mathematical challenges!
The middle school mathematics program ranges from general, enriched and honors level classes; our program extends over the three years up to Algebra I for honors grade 8 math students. Its curriculum is rigorous but mindful of students’ individual needs and the importance of differentiation. Mathematical exercises encourage students to be active participants. The text and resources are available online for both remediation and enrichment activities at the Pearson website. Students should have the username and password to log-in.
enVisionmath 2.0 - New Middle School Math Program
Dear Parents and Guardians:
Welcome to the 2019-20 School Year and to our district’s newly adopted 6-8 mathematics program, enVisionmath2.0 (Pearson Publishing, 2016 edition)!
enVisionmath2.0 is a comprehensive, blended digital and print mathematics program designed to help your child achieve the mathematical proficiency levels established by our district. Your child will be actively involved in using concrete and digital tools to develop deep mathematical understanding, and will apply this understanding through practice and problem solving in every math lesson. In addition, you can expect your child to learn and practice new math ideas and concepts in a various ways, such as:
* Solving problems and explaining their thinking in a write-in text and online
* Using online animations to help build understanding in a visual way
* Working individually, in pairs, and in small groups to solve problems and share their thinking
* Completing homework that promotes computational thinking, fluency, and application through rich problem solving
* Engaging in online practice that provides help as needed through worked-out examples and sell-help videos
* Experiencing a variety of math activities that include Math Games, Math and Science Activities, and Today’s Challenge in order to apply understanding in different contexts and different levels of learning
Our district is very excited about implementing enVisionmath2.0 and looks forward to working in partnership with you in a successful year in math! More information will follow regarding your child’s online access credentials, and scheduled Parent Information Sessions.
Please note: All 6-8 math information and updates can be easily located on your middle school’s website by locating the icon entitled “6-8 Math Program”. Please forward any questions about our new math program by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Jean Ferrara
K-12 Mathematics Supervisor