Technology Resources for PARCC Online Assessment
The PARCC website has Math and English/Language Arts question prototypes which will allow teachers and students to preview/practice what taking the test online will be like.
An important consideration for online testing is the student’s ability to interact with a device to answer the assessment question. In addition to the student being able to read and understand the question, the student must be able to figure out the answer and use technology skills to input the answer. In addition, students must know what to do to submit or reset their answer, and know how to navigate to the next test screen.
Technology skills which are taught in our schools and are needed by our students to take this online assessment include:
- Cut and paste
- Drag and drop
- Selecting text
- Using on-screen calculators
- Manipulating graphs
- Running simulations
- Changing font size and background color
- Knowing when to select multiple answers (square boxes) and when to select only one (circles
In order to help our students prepare, some of the sample questions are listed below in their interactive form. Samples are arranged by subject area and grade levels. Not all grade levels are presented.
Math – Sample Assessment Items – Grades 3, 4, 6, 7, High School
NOTE: For the following questions, there are navigation links for additional items (part b, c, d, etc.).
- Grade 3 – Flower Garden (click in a box and type; drag tiles)
- Grade 3 – Fractions on a Number Line (drag and drop, simulation)
- Grade 3 – Mariana’s Fractions (drag and drop, drag sliders)
- Grade 3 – School Mural (drag and drop, drag sliders)
- Grade 4 – Busses, Vans, and Cars (make selections)
- Grade 4 – Deer in the Park (write answers in a booklet)
- Grade 4 – Number of Stadium Seats (drag and drop)
- Grade 4 – Ordering Juice Drinks (click in boxes and enter data)
- Grade 6 – Cake Weighing (drag and drop and make selections)
- Grade 6 – Gasoline Consumption (drag &drop, make selections, click in blanks)
- Grade 6 – Inches and Centimeters (simulation, make selections)
- Grade 7 – Anne’s Family Trip (calculate and type answers in a box)
- Grade 7 – School Supplies (make selections, type answers in a box)
- Grade 7 – Spicy Veggies (calculate and type answers in a box)
- Grade 7 – TV Sales (calculate and type answers in a box)
- High School – Cellular Growth (enter data in a box, make selections)
- High School – Golf Balls in Water (enter data in a box, make selections)
- High School – Isabella’s Credit Card (drag and drop, type in blanks)
- High School – Rabbit Populations (drag and drop, make selections)
- High School – Graphs of Quadratic Functions (simulation, type in blanks)
The SmarterBalance Assessment Consortium allows a student, parent or teacher to actually log in to a practice assessment which simulates an online assessment. While it is not a PARCC Assessment, the SmartBalance Prototype does simulate what taking an online test is like. In order to try this test as a Guest, visit SmartBalance Assessment using Chrome, Safari, for Foxfire web browser and follow the directions to login as a “Guest.” You will have the ability to choose a grade level and subject area to practice.