ARRIVAL & DISMISSAL PROCEDURES KDG - GR. 5
Southwood Elementary School
Arrival & Dismissal Procedures for Kindergarten – Grade 5
- Students arrive at 8:50 a.m.
- Students are dismissed at 3:14 p.m.
Arrival Procedures for Walkers:
- All walkers should be lined up on the blacktop in front of the school by 8:50 a.m. Walkers are not permitted on the blacktop before the bell rings without parent supervision. There will be no teacher supervision before 8:50 a.m.
- Parents may park on Southwood Drive or surrounding streets and walk their children to the blacktop. Do not park by the yellow painted curbs, as you will be ticketed by the Old Bridge Police Department.
- Parent parking is not available in the school parking lot during arrival and dismissal.
- There are two crossing guards on duty during arrival and dismissal times. Mrs. Betty Denney is assigned to the corner of Southwood Drive and Sycamore Drive. Ms. Patti Reitler is posted at the corner of Southwood Drive and Farmbrook Drive.
- Parents must cross students at the designated crosswalks near the crossing guards. You may not cross in between buses at any time.
- Crossing Guards will not begin crossing children who are by themselves before 8:45 a.m. Students with parents will not be permitted to cross before 8:40 a.m.
- First bell rings at 8:50 a.m. We have two forms of morning line-up:
- Outdoor Line-up - Teachers will greet classes on the blacktop at 8:50 a.m. and escort them to their classrooms.
- Indoor Line-up - Staff members on duty will greet children on the blacktop and direct them into the building. Students must enter the school in two single file lines. First floor students will use the left door and second floor students will use the right door.
- Parents who choose to wait must stand by the fence behind the cones on the blacktop. Parents are not permitted to approach class lines or stand with their children on line. Staff members who are assigned outside duty are available to assist students with the morning arrival. Please be reminded that teachers are not available to conference with parents on the blacktop. I respectfully request that parents who stand by the fence wait quietly while the morning greeting and announcements are being made outside.
Arrival Procedures for Bus Students:
- Students who arrive by bus will be escorted to the blacktop by a staff member.
- Bus students should be reminded of the following:
- Students must be at their assigned bus stop on time.
- Students must wait respectfully and should not disturb the property or homeowner near the bus stop.
- Students must sit in assigned seats.
- Students must wear seat belts.
- Students must follow the directions of the bus driver. He or she has full authority on the bus.
- Students who do not exhibit appropriate behavior will lose the privilege of being transported to and from school by bus.
- Second bell rings at 9:00 a.m. Students who arrive after the 9:00 a.m. bell are considered late. A parent or guardian must sign in with the school officer outside the building. Upon entering the building you and your child will report to the health office for a tardy slip, that your child will take to class.
Note: No child who is late will be permitted into the school without a parent escort.
- Students may not be dropped off in front of the school on Southwood Drive or along the side of the school in the parking lot.
- In the event of tardiness or illness, a parent may enter the parking lot and must park in a designated space.
- Parents are reminded at all times to enter and exit the parking lot slowly, as children are present.
- Parents who pick up their children must wait by the fence.
- 3:10 p.m. – 3:14 p.m. - Van students will be dismissed and escorted to their vans by staff members. After Care students will be dismissed to the All Purpose Room.
- 3:14 p.m. – Walkers will be dismissed in grade level order, escorted by a grade level teacher. Any child who is not met by a parent will be escorted to the main office. The parent will be contacted. No child will ever be left unattended.
- Bus students will be called following dismissal of walkers.
Changes to Normal Dismissal Routine:
- If you are changing a normal dismissal routine, you must notify us in writing. You can send a note to your child’s teacher or you can come into the main office and sign out your child. You cannot “take” your child off the line while he/she is being dismissed to the bus.
- Your child cannot be released to anyone who is not on the emergency contact list in the Parent Portal. Contacts may be changed or updated at any time during the school year.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the Arrival & Dismissal Procedures, please contact the Main Office at 732-360-4539. Thank you for your cooperation!