CHARACTER EDUCATION UPDATE
The Six Pillars of Character
Responsibility * Respect * Caring * Trustworthiness * Citizenship * Fairness
Respect- Yellow (The first week of October we celebrate Week of Respect.)
- Treat others with respect and follow the “Golden Rule”
- Be tolerant and accepting of differences
- Use good manners and avoid bad language
- Be considerate of the feelings of others
- Deal peacefully with anger, insults or disagreements
- Never threaten, hit, or hurt anyone!
- Do what you are supposed to do
- Persevere: keep giving your best
- Use self-control; be disciplined
- Think before you act and consider consequences
- Be accountable for your actions
- Set a good example for others
- Take ownership of poor choices and learn from them
- Play by the rules
- Take turns and share with others
- Be open to new ideas
- Treat other people fairly
- Do not take advantage of others
- Be kind to others and yourself
- Show you care!
- Express gratitude and forgiveness
- Help other people in need
- Be honest
- Do not steal or cheat
- Do the right thing, even if you are the only one
- Be reliable- do what you say you will do
- Be loyal to your teachers, your friends, your family and your school
- Do your share to make Southwood School and Old Bridge a better place!
- Cooperate with others
- Be a good neighbor
- Obey rules and laws inside of school and outside of school
- Respect authority
- Protect our environment
Throughout the school year, we review and reinforce all six pillars of character. Each month, we focus on one particular pillar.
September - Review all six pillars.
October & November - Respect (Yellow)
December - Citizenship (Purple)
January - Fairness (Orange)
February - Caring (Red)
March - Responsibility (Green)
April - Trustworthiness (Blue)
May & June - Review & reinforce all six pillars.