Staying Safe—Some Tips to Secure Your Digital Devices
- If you have a WINDOWS device, install the latest Service Pack and enable automatic security updates.
- Avoid using Wi-Fi Hotspots in busy places, such as malls, airports, hotels, etc., where other could be connected.
- Install firewall software on your device to block intruders.
- Avoid using instant messaging via wifi networks with which you are unfamiliar
- Run anti-virus and anti-spyware software which you have acquired from trusted sources and keep those programs updated.
- Bluetooth technology should be de-activated on your mobile devices until you need it.
- Be careful opening email attachments. Delete any attachment from a questionable source that ends in an “exe” file extension.
- Be wary of online offers for “FREE” games and toolbars.
- Activate security features on your home wireless network. If you are not sure how to do this, visit your Internet provider website.